LIFT is a non-profit organization whose mission is to enhance access to justice for children and families by providing legal information, community education, and compassionate guidance, while promoting system-wide reform of the courts and public agencies. LIFT empowers those without lawyers to successfully self-advocate in the New York Family Courts. To learn more about its programs, please visit www.LIFTonline.org.
LIFT is a dynamic, growth-oriented organization with a team that is both professional and passionate about its work. It is also a great place to work. LIFT encourages ongoing professional development and support a healthy work-life balance. In addition to the satisfaction of seeing the impact they have on the lives of children and families, employees receive competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Legal Information for Families Today (LIFT) team. Please see below for current open positions. Please follow us on LinkedIn and check back here for periodic updates regarding our staffing needs.
The Operations and HR Manager provides executive, administrative, and advisory support to senior management and staff at LIFT including areas such as: Operations, Business/Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology and Office Administration. This position facilitates the needs of the office, works closely with the Senior Management team and reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Manage the day-to-day processes, procedures and systems that support LIFT’s goals and programs.
- Offer leadership and direction in regards to the organization’s policies and procedures; maintain Administrative Procedures Manual.
- Deliver high quality service in all Operations activities in alignment to the strategic growth of the organization.
- Oversee Board operation logistics, including meeting scheduling, compliance and policy overview.
- Perform administrative tasks as needed.
- Manage all of LIFT’s operational business external partner relations such as: service providers, vendors, consultants, building and facilities management.
- Manage the timely processing, reporting, and billing of LIFT’s New York State and New York City agencies’ contracts and agreements, in collaboration with the Development team and the CEO.
- Supervise bi-monthly and bi-annual lobbying report submissions for NYC and NYS through consultant.
- Work closely with the Comptroller/Bookkeeper to monitor budgets, long term finances and yearly audit.
- Support basic finance functions, including managing invoices, managing petty cash, and bank deposits.
Human Resources Administration:
- Manage Human Resources functions and services, including: recruiting, employee onboarding, employee relations, benefits and PTO tracking, documents pertaining to performance reviews, and personnel records.
- Manage compliance with labor laws and standards.
- Manage Employee Handbook and continuous updating of policies as needed.
- Manage liability insurance policies and compliance with laws/filings.
- Conduct annual review of insurance and benefit policies and negotiate renewals.
- Experience with HR Management software such as ATS: Greenhouse, BambooHR, and Performance: Trakstar, Namely.
- Monitor staff adherence to office standards and procedures; communication with line managers to report concerns.
Information Technology Administration:
- Maintaining and assessing IT and Communications technologies, networks, equipment and services through close management of and communication with providers and vendors.
- Conduct an annual analysis of technology functions and offer recommendations based on the success of services provided and equipment performance.
- Manage day-to-day technology operating needs as lead liaison to service providers and technology vendors.
- Manage day-to-day office administration including: facilities, equipment, supplies, mail and shipments.
- Manage the organization of proprietary and confidential digital and hard copy files and documents.
- Manage office equipment and all operating issues, including monitoring of leases and employee usage, as the main liaison with service providers and vendors.
- Liaise with building management to address facilities matters.
- Manage account information for all vendors, including passwords, login info, and contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-year minimum non-profit organizations operations and office management
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail
- Vendor management, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Critical thinking and analytic skills
- Self-starter, ability to work independently and in teams
- Proven time management and project management skills
- Advanced Excel and Word skills; proficient in Outlook; experienced in Salesforce; Adobe Illustrator
- Adaptability flexibility, and enthusiasm
- Commitment to LIFT’s mission
Salary: LIFT offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, and TransitChek Program, as well as a generous time off/holiday policy. In addition, LIFT offers a 403B Retirement Savings plan which is matched up to 5% of the employee’s annual salary after one year of employment.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Cathy Cramer, CEO, via email at [email protected] Please put “Operations and HR Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide legal information and compassionate guidance to litigants in Family Court;
- Provide legal advice in person through Court and community-based efforts and through LIFT’s virtual Family Legal Connection;
- Help program participants to prepare for court proceedings through mock trial activities, document preparation, and connection to other programs and services;
- Conduct Know-Your-Rights presentations, family law workshops, and clinics throughout New York City;
- Perform outreach throughout the courthouse and in the community;
- Train and supervise court-based interns and volunteers;
- Distribute, track, and maintain LIFT’s Legal Resource Guides supply in the court;
- Create and maintain thorough, accurate, and current case management notes;
- Collect and report on participant data and narratives;
- Attend Family Court meetings on behalf of and provide updates on courthouse activities to the LIFT management team; and
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings and trainings at LIFT’s central office in downtown Brooklyn and occasionally in other NYC boroughs.
- Expand LIFT’s networks of partnerships and services in the Bronx;
- Serve as a point person for updating LIFT’s Legal Resource Guides and research into new areas for LIFT materials; and
- Serve as a program liaison and support for other court and non-court based programmatic activities, and development activities, as requested.
- J.D. and New York bar admission required;
- Fluency in Spanish or languages other than English strongly preferred;
- Experience or demonstrated interest in family law, increasing access to justice, and providing services to the public;
- Commitment to providing high quality, compassionate service;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work independently;
- Demonstrated autonomy and ability to self-manage and motivate;
- Critical thinking skills and informed decision-making;
- Attention to detail; and
- Professional, proactive, and enthusiastic team player.
Salary: LIFT offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Monroe Solomon, Legal Director, via email at [email protected] Please put “Bronx Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Development & Communications Associate plays a critical role within the Development & External Affairs Department, ensuring the smooth functioning of all activities to help LIFT achieve its short and long-range development goals. This position reports to the Chief Development & External Affairs Officer and works closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Grant Writer and other staff across LIFT.
This is an exciting time to join LIFT and to become part of the Development & Communications team. LIFT is undertaking important programmatic expansions, and will be undergoing a Rebranding process in which the Associate will participate.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Do data entry, tracking, clean-up and reporting in the fundraising database (Salesforce) and filing systems. This includes prompt donation processing and donor acknowledgement.
- Coordinate logistics with planning, execution and follow-up of special events and individual gifts campaigns. This includes mass mailings for an annual appeal and annual gala with auction.
- Reconcile donation records at least once a month with finance.
- Support the organization’s efforts to build and maintain relationships with public officials, including preparing informational decks.
- Draft correspondence and provide administrative support to the Development team.
Communications & Marketing
- Publish LIFT’s social media, including scheduling, participating in content brainstorming, drafting text, and doing light graphic design with Canva.
- Assist with execution of other LIFT communications, including basic maintenance of website content and e-blast accounts.
- Work with the development team to provide support in producing fundraising and promotional materials such as brochures, Annual Reports, donor stewardship updates and newsletters.
Executive Office Support
- Provide administrative support to senior management, including scheduling, organizing CEO’s calendar and filing.
- Support office day-to-day activities such as receiving and sorting mail and general phone inquiries.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 2-3 years of office experience in a related field; non-profit fund development experience a plus;
- Superb written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to write on deadline;
- Flexible, creative and energetic;
- Proven time management and organizational skills; ability to prioritize while working on multiple projects;
- Interpersonal and customer service skills including problem-solving;
- Outstanding attention to detail;
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media platforms, and databases (familiarity with Salesforce strongly preferred);
- Experience with event planning;
- Experience with website management and design applications (eg. Canva) a plus;
- Sense of humor;
- Commitment to LIFT’s mission.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Sara Beinert, Chief Development & External Affairs Officer, via email at [email protected] Please put “Development & Communications Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
LIFT is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Learn more about LIFT at www.LIFTonline.org.