LIFT is a non-profit organization whose mission is to enhance access to justice for children and families by providing legal information, community education, and compassionate guidance, while promoting system-wide reform of the courts and public agencies. LIFT empowers those without lawyers to successfully self-advocate in the New York Family Courts. To learn more about its programs, please visit www.LIFTonline.org.
LIFT is a dynamic, growth-oriented organization with a team that is both professional and passionate about its work. It is also a great place to work. LIFT encourages ongoing professional development and support a healthy work-life balance. In addition to the satisfaction of seeing the impact they have on the lives of children and families, employees receive competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Legal Information for Families Today (LIFT) team. Please follow us on LinkedIn and check back here for periodic updates regarding our staffing needs.
Legal Information for Families Today (LIFT) is seeking an experienced Controller to join our team as a Part-Time Consultant.
The Controller is responsible for all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as the development of internal control policies and procedures. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Producing and developing annual operating budget.
- Support the CEO in engaging the Board’s Audit and Finance committee.
- Prepare monthly financial statements – review general ledger monthly and make necessary adjusting entries and ensuring records are accurately reflected.
- Support month-end and year-end close process.
- Manage and comply with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Manage audit support and work with auditors.
- Prepare budgets for foundation and government contracts.
- Work with the CEO and Operations Manager to develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance.
- Prepare budget modifications as needed.
- Monitor and project cash flow.
- Develop financial forecasting for program/foundation budgets.
- Special Projects (for example Last five years of revenue sources)
- Must be a self-starter and able to prioritize and work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment
- At least five (5) years’ experience in nonprofit fiscal and contract management
- CPA or CMA is strongly desired, but not required
- A minimum of a bachelors degree with an emphasis on accounting, finance or business administration—or a comparable combination of education and experience
- Experience with Fund EZ and HHS Accelerator
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Budget development and oversight experience
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implication of nonprofit status
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/ year-end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Experience with policies and procedures of New York State and City government funding entities
This position requires 30 – 40 hours per month, with the most hours between the 5th and the 10th of each month.
Salary: Hourly competitive compensation
How to Apply: Interested individuals should email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please write “Controller” in the subject line.
LIFT is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Learn more about LIFT at www.LIFTonline.org.