LIFT is a non-profit organization whose mission is to enhance access to justice for children and families by providing legal information, community education, and compassionate guidance, while promoting system-wide reform of the courts and public agencies. LIFT empowers those without lawyers to successfully self-advocate in the New York Family Courts. To learn more about its programs, please visit www.LIFTonline.org.
LIFT is a dynamic, growth-oriented organization with a team that is both professional and passionate about its work. It is also a great place to work. LIFT encourages ongoing professional development and support a healthy work-life balance. In addition to the satisfaction of seeing the impact they have on the lives of children and families, employees receive competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Legal Information for Families Today (LIFT) team. Please follow us on LinkedIn and check back here for periodic updates regarding our staffing needs.
- Brooklyn Staff Attorney
Legal Information for Families Today (LIFT) is seeking a talented and experienced Brooklyn Staff Attorney to join our team.
This role is an excellent opportunity for an attorney who is interested in innovative access-to-justice work. Based primarily out of the Brooklyn County Family Court, the Staff Attorney provides direct support to those facing Family Court issues through court preparation meetings with pro se litigants and by answering legal and procedural inquiries for all site visitors. The Staff Attorney also regularly conducts workshops, presentations, and clinics to bring LIFT’s family law help to members and areas of the community that are unable to access the Family Courts. The Staff Attorney reports to the Legal Programs Manager.
LIFT is a non-profit organization whose mission is to enhance access to justice for children and families by providing legal information and advice, community education, and compassionate guidance, while promoting system-wide reform of the courts and public agencies. We empower those without lawyers to successfully self-advocate in the New York Family Courts. To learn more about our programs please visit www.LIFTonline.org.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide legal information and compassionate guidance to litigants in Family Court;
- Provide legal advice in person through Court consultations and community-based efforts and through LIFT’s virtual Family Legal Connection;
- Help program participants to prepare for court proceedings through mock trial activities, document preparation, and connection to other programs and services;
- Conduct Know-Your-Rights presentations, family law workshops, and clinics throughout New York City;
- Perform outreach throughout the courthouse and in the community;
- Train and supervise court-based interns and volunteers;
- Distribute, track, and maintain LIFT’s Legal Resource Guides in the court;
- Create and maintain thorough, accurate, and current case management notes;
- Collect and report on participant data and narratives;
- Attend Family Court meetings on behalf of LIFT and provide updates on courthouse activities to the LIFT management team; and
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings and trainings at LIFT’s central office in downtown Brooklyn and occasionally in other NYC boroughs.
- Expand LIFT’s networks of partnerships and services in the Brooklyn;
- Serve as a point person for updating LIFT’s Legal Resource Guides and research into new areas for LIFT materials; and
- Serve as a program liaison and support for other court and non-court based programmatic activities, and development activities, as requested.
- J.D. and New York bar admission required;
- Fluency in Spanish or languages other than English strongly preferred;
- Experience or demonstrated interest in family law, increasing access to justice, and providing services to the public;
- Commitment to providing high quality, compassionate service;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and thrive in a busy courthouse environment;
- Demonstrated autonomy and ability to self-manage and motivate;
- Critical thinking skills and informed decision-making;
- Attention to detail; and
- Professional, proactive, and enthusiastic team player.
Salary: LIFT offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Nathalie Gonzalez. Esq., Legal Programs Manager, via email at [email protected] Please put “Brooklyn Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
LIFT is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about LIFT at www.LIFTonline.org.