1. The clerk will give you a form to fill out and return. Bring a pen so that you can fill out the form.
2. After you give the form back to the clerk, you will wait for your name to be called. Bring something to read, because you may have to wait a long time.
3. The clerk will type up your petition.
4. You may see a judge that day. If you do not, you will be given papers to serve on (give to) the respondent and a date to return to court. This is called the return date.
5. Before leaving, make sure you have all of the papers that need to be served, the Affidavit (aff-i-DAYV-it) of Service, and instructions on how to serve them. See the LIFT guide “Serving Court Papers” for information on how to serve the papers and what to do with the Affidavit of Service.