Free Family Law Support
Legal Information for Families Today provides legal and social service support to those involved in New York Family Court, free of charge. Se habla Espanol.
Call 212-343-1122 for expert assistance
We can help with:
- Family Law Cases
- Navigating and Preparing for Family Court
- Your Legal Options
- Immediate Answers Online
- Additional Resources
What You Should Know
- Litigants should be treated with dignity, fairness, and respect.
- Litigants have the right to be treated fairly regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
- Litigants have the right to request a court interpreter.
- Litigants have the right to file a petition.
- Litigants may request an adjournment to change their court date.
- Litigants may ask to bring anyone they wish to the courthouse and inside the court room for support.
- Litigants have the right to ask questions, present evidence, and object during a hearing or to a judicial order.
- Litigants have the right to understand what the judge, referee or support magistrate is saying.
- Litigants have the right to understand all court orders and decisions.
- Litigants have the right to appeal certain judicial orders and automatically appeal the final decision in their case.
- Litigants have the right to ask for and see the records in their case.
- Litigants may request to use the courts’ law libraries.
- Litigants can file a complaint about a judge, clerk, court officer, interpreter or other court staff and attorneys without it negatively impacting their case.